HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE
It is that time of year where we enjoy barbecues, carnivals and fireworks, but we cannot forget the reason why we do celebrate Independence Day!
As we celebrate, we also can’t forget to protect ourselves against ticks! Not only on the 4th of July but every single day!
– Sit on a towel or blanket when on the grass
– Black leggings are not the best choice (so if you have lighter color pants those would work better)
– However I do have on my light colored “Fight Lyme” sneakers- and high white socks, making it easier to spot ticks since they crawl up!
– You should always put on sunscreen (and don’t forget to re-apply it) as well as bug spray.
– Apply it to your clothes-and when you apply repellents directly on your skin, always double check that the product is safe to put directly on your skin)
– Besides the obvious benefits and needs of showering, getting all the chemicals in bug spray off you, etc., it can help get rid of any ticks (or bugs in general) that might be on you
-DRY YOUR CLOTHES FIRST, THEN WASH! The heat can kill ticks that may be on your clothes
Make sure you have someone help you check for ticks. Here is my mom checking for ticks the behind my ears, around my scalp, hair and other places I’m not able to check myself. The few times I did find a tick on me, it always happened to be behind my ears. Don’t think you can do it yourself, but if there isn’t anyone around to help you, check as best as you can on your own; then find someone else who can check you asap. Ticks are so tiny and hard to see as it is!
Most importantly, have a Happy 4th of July and enjoy the fireworks!!
I was able to make it to the fireworks and even walked home from them!! Of course now I have horrible, horrible shin splints but knowing why I have pain, makes it a little easier to tolerate!